🌓
搜索
 找回密码
 立即注册

BIM+ESE | 聚焦古代工程师的智慧03--古代没有电和化石能源,人们是如何保暖的呢?

admin 2024-2-1 16:50:02 89122

关于环境、能源、与可持续发展的课题,在调研过程中不知不觉的,进入了古代工程师的怪圈。因为,在调研的过程中,总是好奇的提出一些问题,问着问着就会思考,在古代没有电、没有化石能源的供给,人们如何生活呢?难道他们夏天不热么?冬天不冷么?

今天开启一段新的旅程吧。

How Did People in Ancient Times Survive without Central Heating?

没有集中供暖,古代人是如何生存的?

I've come across a large number of questions on Quora asking how people in ancient times managed to survive during the winter without modern central heating. It seems that many people are just outright baffled by the very idea of people living through the cold of winter without central heating.

我在Quora上遇到了很多问题,问古代的人们是如何在没有现代中央供暖的冬天生存下来的。似乎许多人对人们在没有中央供暖的情况下度过寒冷的冬天的想法完全感到困惑。

The answer to the question of how people survived is fairly straightforward, although there are a few surprises. For instance, some people may not have known this, but there are still people living in relatively cold environments today without central heating. Also, even more surprisingly, some wealthy aristocrats in ancient Rome actually did have a kind of early form of central heating system in their villas.

人类是如何生存下来的这个问题的答案是相当简单的,尽管有一些惊喜。例如,有些人可能不知道这一点,但今天仍然有人生活在相对寒冷的环境中,没有中央供暖。而且,更令人惊讶的是,古罗马的一些富有的贵族在他们的别墅里确实有一种早期的中央供暖系统。

Believe it or not, there are still people today who live in cold climates without modern central heating. For instance, I’m from a town in northern Indiana. In January and February, the temperatures can often get well below freezing.

信不信由你,今天仍然有人生活在没有现代中央供暖的寒冷气候中。例如,我来自印第安纳州北部的一个小镇。在1月和2月,气温经常会降到冰点以下。

I graduated from high school a couple years ago. During my senior year of high school, I had a friend who told me about how her father’s house didn’t have any central heating or air conditioning at all. She told me that, in the winter, her bedroom would often be twenty degrees Fahrenheit or colder, with ice all over the window.

几年前我高中毕业了。在我高中的最后一年,我有一个朋友告诉我,她父亲的房子没有任何中央供暖或空调。她告诉我,在冬天,她的卧室常常是20华氏度或更低,窗户上全是冰。

I was quite astonished to hear this at the time because, although I had already known that many people in town did not have air conditioning, I had assumed that everyone in Indiana at least had heating. I asked her how she and her father kept warm in the winter without central heating.

当时听到这个消息我很惊讶,因为尽管我已经知道镇上很多人没有空调,但我一直以为印第安纳州的每个人至少都有暖气。我问她,在没有中央供暖的冬天,她和她父亲是如何取暖的。

She said that her father’s house had been built back in the nineteenth century before heating or air conditioning were invented. She said that her father didn’t have a lot of money and it was much cheaper and easier for them to simply make do without heating or air conditioning than it would have been for them to have had those things installed.

她说她父亲的房子建于19世纪,当时暖气和空调还没有发明。她说,她的父亲没有很多钱,对他们来说,没有暖气或空调也能凑合着用,比安装这些东西便宜得多,也容易得多。

She told me that they had a small gas heater that they kept in the living room downstairs that could generate enough heat for the room, but that was the only heating they had. They tried to keep doors in the house open so the heat could spread throughout the house. She also mentioned that they always used “lots of blankets” during the winter.

她告诉我,他们在楼下的客厅里放了一个小型燃气加热器,可以为房间产生足够的热量,但这是他们唯一的供暖设备。他们试着把屋子的门开着,这样热量就能传遍屋子。她还提到,他们在冬天总是用“很多毯子”。

How people in ancient times made it through the winter

古代的人们是如何度过冬天的

People in ancient times coped with cold temperatures in a similar way to how my friend from high school did it. They didn’t have gas space heaters, but, during the winter, they would almost always keep a fire blazing on the hearth. On especially cold days, people could gather around the hearth for warmth. It was also common for people in ancient times to use blankets and furs for warmth. The colder it was, the more blankets they used.

古时候的人们应对低温的方式与我高中朋友的做法类似。他们没有燃气取暖器,但是,在冬天,他们几乎总是在壁炉里生着火。在特别冷的日子里,人们可以聚集在炉边取暖。在古代,人们用毯子和毛皮保暖也是很常见的。天气越冷,他们用的毯子就越多。

People who lived in areas that got especially cold during the winter, such as northern Europe, normally built their homes with thick, well-insulated walls to keep in as much warmth as possible. They knew that winters were cold, so they built their homes accordingly.

居住在冬季特别寒冷地区的人们,如北欧,通常会用厚厚的、隔热良好的墙壁来建造房屋,以尽可能地保持温暖。他们知道冬天很冷,所以他们相应地建造了自己的房子。

People in ancient times also adjusted their clothes according to the weather. This may come as a surprise to many people, but even people in ancient Greece and Rome didn’t just wear short tunics all year round. Greece may be warmer than, say, Norway, but it can still get quite chilly in Greece during the winter. The average low temperature for the city of Athens, Greece, in the month of January is 7 °C (44.6 °F).

古时候的人们也会根据天气来调整衣服。这可能会让很多人感到惊讶,但即使是古希腊和罗马人也不是一年四季都穿短束腰外衣。希腊可能比挪威等国暖和,但希腊的冬天仍然会很冷。希腊雅典一月份的平均最低气温是7°C(44.6°F)。

The Athenian historian Xenophon (lived c. 430 – c. 354 BCE) portrays his mentor, the philosopher Socrates, as referencing the practice of wearing warmer clothing during the winter and cooler clothing during the summer in his Memorabilia or Memoirs of Socrates 1.6.6. Socrates says, on page 96 of the Penguin edition, translated by Hugh Tredennick and revised by Robin Waterfield:

雅典历史学家色诺芬(Xenophon,公元前430年-公元前354年)在他的《苏格拉底回忆录》(Memorabilia or Memoirs of Socrates, 1.6.6)中描述了他的导师哲学家苏格拉底在冬天穿暖和的衣服,在夏天穿凉爽的衣服的做法。苏格拉底说,在企鹅版的第96页,由休·特雷登尼克翻译,罗宾·沃特菲尔德修订

“As for cloaks, you know that people change them because of cold or hot weather, and they wear shoes to prevent things from hurting their feet and so impeding their movements. Well, have you ever known me to stay indoors more than anybody else on account of the cold, or compete with anyone for the shade on account of the heat, or fail to walk wherever I wanted because my feet were sore? Don’t you know that those who are physically weakest by nature, if they train with a particular end in view, become better able to achieve that end, with less effort to themselves, than the strongest athletes who neglect their training?”

“至于斗篷,你知道,人们因为天气冷或热而换斗篷,他们穿鞋是为了防止东西伤到脚,妨碍他们行动。好吧,你可曾见过我因为天冷而比别人呆在家里更久,或者因为天热而和别人争抢阴凉,或者因为脚痛而不能走到想走的地方?难道你不知道,那些天生身体最弱的人,如果他们为一个特定的目标而训练,他们会比那些忽视训练的最强壮的运动员更能做到这一点,而不用付出更多的努力吗?”

During the winter, many people in ancient Greece probably wore a kind of long cloak made from a single large rectangular piece of heavy woolen fabric known as a himation. This kind of cloak usually covered the body down to the ankles. People of all ages, social classes, and genders wore it. It could be worn over another garment or on its own with nothing under it.

在冬天,古希腊的许多人可能会穿着一种长斗篷,这种斗篷是由一大块长方形的厚羊毛织物制成的,这种织物被称为himation。这种披风通常把身体一直盖到脚踝。所有年龄、社会阶层和性别的人都穿着它。它可以穿在另一件衣服外面,也可以什么都不穿。

ABOVE: Photograph from Wikimedia Commons showing two statues next to each other in the House of Kleopatra on the island of Delos depicting a woman (left) and a man (right), both wearing the himation

上图:来自维基共享资源的照片显示,在提洛斯岛的克列欧帕特拉之家,两座雕像紧挨着,分别描绘了一个女人(左)和一个男人(右),两人都戴着头巾

The himation could also be wrapped around the body like a blanket. Depictions of Achilleus mourning for Patroklos in ancient Greek pottery sometimes show him completely wrapped tightly in his himation from head to toe to signify his mourning. It is easy to imagine that people might have wrapped themselves up in a similar manner for warmth on exceptionally cold days in winter.

它也可以像毯子一样包裹在尸体上。在古希腊陶器中,阿基里斯为帕特洛克罗斯哀悼的描绘有时会显示他从头到脚都紧紧地裹在他的长袍里,以表示他的哀悼。很容易想象,在冬天特别冷的日子里,人们可能也会用类似的方式把自己裹起来取暖。

ABOVE: Tondo from an Attic red-figure kylix dated to c. 500 BCE depicting Achilleus seated on the chair wrapped tightly in a himation. He’s actually in mourning for Patroklos, but you could imagine someone wrapping themselves up in a cloak like this on an exceptionally cold day for warmth.

上图:来自公元前500年阿提卡红字kylix的Tondo,描绘了阿基里斯坐在椅子上,身上紧紧裹着头巾。他实际上是在为帕特洛克洛斯服丧,但你可以想象,在一个异常寒冷的日子里,有人把自己裹在这样的斗篷里取暖。

Ancient Roman central heating

古罗马集中供暖

In the Roman Empire, some buildings, such as bathhouses and villas belonging to extremely wealthy aristocrats, did have an early form of central heating system, known as a hypocaust(热炕). Hypocausts may have been originally invented by the Greeks, but they only became more commonly used during the time of the Roman Empire.

在罗马帝国,一些建筑,如澡堂和别墅属于非常富有的贵族,确实有一个早期形式的中央供暖系统,被称为低温供暖。热炕最初可能是由希腊人发明的,但直到罗马帝国时期才变得更加普遍。

A hypocaust operated on a fairly simple mechanism; basically, heat from a wood furnace was conducted through empty spaces underneath the floor of the building and into rooms through pipes in the walls, which were known as “caliducts.”

A hypocaust operated的运作机制相当简单;基本上,来自木炉的热量通过建筑物地板下面的空空间,通过墙壁上的管道进入房间,这些管道被称为“caliducts(暖气管道)”。

The hypocaust, however, was an extremely rare and expensive system that was never available to the majority of people in the Roman Empire. The vast majority of people who lived in the Roman Empire lived in buildings without hypocausts.

然而,这是一种极其罕见和昂贵的系统,罗马帝国的大多数人从来没有使用过。生活在罗马帝国的绝大多数人都住在没有装饰的建筑里。

After the collapse of the western Roman Empire in the fifth century CE, hypocausts generally fell out of use in most parts of western Europe for about a thousand years. The technology was never really lost, but, in most places, the system ceased to be used. Hypocaust-like systems continued to be used in the eastern Empire, in the Arab world, and in parts of Spain.

公元五世纪,西罗马帝国灭亡后,在西欧大部分地区,大约有一千年的时间没有使用假币。这项技术从未真正丢失,但在大多数地方,该系统已不再使用。在东罗马帝国、阿拉伯世界和西班牙的部分地区,类似潜水艇的系统继续被使用。

ABOVE: Photograph from Wikimedia Commons of a ruined hypocaust from a Roman villa at La Olmeda in Pedrosa de la Vega, Spain

上图:来自维基共享资源的图片,来自西班牙佩德罗萨德拉维加的拉奥尔梅达一座罗马别墅的废墟

ABOVE: Photograph from Wikimedia Commons of a ruined hypocaust from a Roman villa at Vieux-la-Romaine in France

上图:来自维基共享资源的照片,来自法国罗马vieux -la- roma的一座罗马别墅的废墟

扫一扫

113132.jpg
随机推荐

最新主题

0 回复

高级模式
游客
返回顶部